Registration abroad

If you want to apply for design protection abroad, you have three options to choose from: you can use either national registration systems or the Community Design System covering the European Union area. You can also, in most cases, apply for design protection within the Hague Agreement concerning the international registration of designs. Finland has become party to the Geneva Act of the Hague Agreement – the act enters into force in Finland on 1 May 2011. This section gives you more information on these three options.

You must determine in each individual case what system to use. That is why you should consult an agent when you consider applying for design protection abroad.

Printable version
Latest update 31.05.2011