PRH carries a long tradition

The history of the Finnish Patent and Registration Office (PRH) started in 1835 when a Manufacture Board was established in the Senate of Finland. The name of our office was National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland, NBPR, until 2013.

Read more: 175 years of Manufacture Board´s heritage (pdf)

In 1842, the Imperial Senate of Finland granted the first Finnish patent on suggestion of the Manufacture Board.

  • 1885: The Industrial Board was established and the functions of the Manufacture Board were transferred to the Industrial Board.
  • 1889: Registration of trademarks began.
  • 1896: The Trade Register was established.
  • 1919: The Industrial Board was discontinued and matters relating to patents, trademarks and the Trade Register were trusted with the Board of Trade and Industry.
  • 1921: Finland became a member of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
  • 1926: The Board of Trade and Industry was discontinued and matters relating to patents, trademarks and the Trade Register were trusted with the Ministry of Trade and Industry.
  • 1942: The National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland (NBPR) was established.

Our office since 1942

  • 1971: First registered design
  • 1980: Patent Cooperation Treaty, PCT
  • 1992: First utility model
  • 1992: Board of Directors was appointed for our office
  • 1995: The Register of Foundations and the Register of Associations were transferred to our office
  • 1995: The Advisory Committee for Associations was established
  • 1996: Finland became a full member of the European Patent Organisation (EPO)
  • 1997: Finland became a member of OHIM, the EU Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (trademarks and designs); currently called the European Union Intellectual Property Office, EUIPO
  • 1997: The Advisory Committee for Enterprise Issues was established
  • 2005: Our office became an international searching and examining PCT authority (ISA and IPEA)
  • 2008: Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment was established; our office belongs to its group of agencies
  • 2009: First bilateral Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) Agreement
  • 2014: We changed our name in English from the National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland (NBPR) to the Finnish Patent and Registration Office (PRH)
Printable version
Latest update 26.06.2019