PRH carries a long tradition

The history of the Finnish Patent and Registration Office (PRH) started in 1835 when a Manufacture Board was established in the Imperial Senate of Finland to administer the country’s increasing manufacturing and factory operations. The English name of our office was the National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland, NBPR, until 2013. At first, few patents were granted per year. The system gained momentum in the late 1880s with the accelerating industrialisation in Finland.

Significant milestones

  • 1835: The Manufacture Board is established.
  • 1842: The first Finnish patent is granted to L. G. Ståhle’s “blowing machine made of iron".
    Read more about L. G. Ståhle’s “blowing machine made of iron” in Finnish.
  • 1885: The Industrial Board is established and the functions of the Manufacture Board are transferred to the Industrial Board.
  • 1889: Registration of trademarks begins.
  • 1896: The Trade Register is established.
  • 1919: The Industrial Board is discontinued and matters relating to patents, trademarks and the Trade Register are trusted with the Board of Trade and Industry.
  • 1921: Finland becomes a member of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
  • 1926: The Board of Trade and Industry is discontinued and matters relating to patents, trademarks and the Trade Register are trusted with the Ministry of Trade and Industry.
  • 1942: The National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland (NBPR) is established.
  • 1942: The National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland (NBPR) is established.
  • 1971: The first Finnish design protection is registered.
  • 1980: Finland joins the international Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT).
  • 1992: The first utility model is granted.
  • 1995: The Register of Foundations and the Register of Associations are transferred from the Ministry of Justice to our office.
  • 1995: The Advisory Committee for Associations is established.
  • 1996: Finland joins the European Patent Convention (EPC) and our office becomes a full member of the European Patent Organisation (EPO).
  • 1997: Finland becomes a member of OHIM, the EU Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (trademarks and designs).
  • 2005: Our office becomes an international searching and examining PCT authority (ISA and IPEA).
  • 2008: The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment is established; our office belongs to its group of agencies.
  • 2009: The first bilateral Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) agreement is signed.
  • 2012: We celebrate the 70th anniversary of our office, the 170th anniversary of the granting of the first Finnish patent, and the 20th anniversary of the first registered utility model in Finland.
  • 2013: The 10,000th utility model is granted.
  • 2014: We change our name in English from the National Board of Patents and Registration of Finland (NBPR) to the Finnish Patent and Registration Office (PRH).
  • 2016: Auditor oversight is transferred to our office.
  • 2017: Monitoring of organisations for collective management of copyright is transferred to our office.
  • 2017: The 75th anniversary of our office, the 175th anniversary of the Finnish patent, and the 25th anniversary of utility model.
  • 2019: The Register of Associations turns 100 years.
Printable version
Latest update 22.07.2021