Patents are public information. Each year, over 2 million new patent documents are published. In total, over 80 million patent documents have been published in several languages in over 100 countries.
There are two types of patent publications:
- application publications
- publications of granted patents
These are published in online databases.
Explore our free databases
You can also ask our specialists to carry out a preliminary novelty search or order one of our search services.
Where can I find information?
The following free databases are available:
- Patent Information ServiceOpen link in a new tab – basic information on Finnish patents, utility models and supplementary protection certificates (SPC) and associated documents, as well as basic information on European patents validated in Finland
- EspacenetOpen link in a new tab– patent and utility model publications from all over the world
- Espacenet in FinnishOpen link in a new tab – an older version of the service
- Publication serverOpen link in a new tab – Please note that you will find the details in this service also in our Patent Information Service from the beginning of 2023. The publication server is set to be closed in the next few months. Go to the Patent Information ServiceOpen link in a new tab.
- Industrial Property Gazettes serviceOpen link in a new tab
- Patent Gazette – a compilation of public notices and notifications associated with patents and supplementary protection certificates (SPC), informing you when applications become available to the public or granted. We publish registrations automatically after registration. This means we can publish new registrations every day.
- Utility Model Gazette – a compilation of public notices and notifications associated with utility models, informing you when applications become available to the public and utility models are registered. We publish registrations automatically after registration. This means we can publish new registrations every day.
In general, patent application become available to the public 18 months after the filing date. Therefore, your application can be pending, even though you cannot yet find it in the database.
Please note that when you are looking for inventions within a particular technical field, the patent classification can be of assistance. Our databases include a search field where you can enter the desired class. Read more about patent classification.
Industrial property rights dictionary
Finnish-Swedish-English-German-French dictionary of patent, trademark and protection of design terminology: