How to apply for a trademark abroad

If you want to protect your trademark outside Finland, you have three options to choose from:

  • EU trademark covering the whole of the European Union and registered by the European Union Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO)
  • Registration under the Madrid Protocol (MP) in the member countries of the protocol
  • National registrations in each individual country.

Which option should I choose?

The system you should use always depends on the case. The crucial question is in which countries you need the protection.

If you want to protect your mark in several EU countries, choose the EU trademark. If you want to protect the mark in countries like Russia and China, it may be wisest to use the Madrid Protocol system or apply to register the trademark separately in each individual country.

In order to get extensive protection for your trademark, you usually need to use more than one option.

Read more about the options in our brochure about protecting your trademark abroad (in Finnish). (PDF, 1.33 MB) (pdf, 1.33 Mb)

Please note that for now, the brochure is only available in Finnish.

The brochure walks you through the options for protecting your trademark abroad: an EU trademark registration, an international registration under the Madrid Protocol, and a national trademark registered separately in each individual country.

How much does it cost to register abroad?

The costs vary according to the number of countries in which you apply for registration, which countries are in question, and the number of classes of goods and services included in your application.

See the fees for registrations covering the European Union on the EUIPO website.

You can calculate the fees for registrations under the Madrid Protocol by using the calculator on the website of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).

We recommend that you consult a trademark agency if you are applying to register your trademark abroad.

Printable version
Latest update 17.06.2021