How to found an association
An association can be founded for the common realisation of a non-profit purpose.
Non-profit associations include, for example:
- cultural and social associations and charitable organisations;
- entertainment associations, athletic clubs, and hobby clubs;
- trade associations; and
- political parties.
How to found an association and file it for registration
An association must have at least three founders. All founding members must be aged 15 years or over. An association can also be founded by an organisation, such as a registered association, a company, or a foundation.
- Read instructions on charter of association
- Read instructions on rules
- Read instructions on chairperson and others who can sign for association
- Read instructions on executive committee
- File start-up notification
A register extract from the PRH for new associations
When the association has been registered, the PRH will send a register extract for the association. The extract is free of charge.
Register extracts are public documents that anyone can buy from the information service of the Register of Associations. A register extract contains the basic details of an association, and the details of the persons entitled to sign for and act on behalf of the association. Go to the information service of the Register of Associations.Open link in a new tab
See the legislation for more information
The founding of an association is regulated in Chapter 2 in the Finnish Associations Act.