What is design right?
Design right is the most important legal tool to protect industrial designs. You can protect your design by registering it, in which case you secure yourself an exclusive right to the products you have designed.
Design rights are mainly used in business, but they can as well be applied for or owned by private persons.
Please note that you can apply to register your design at the FinnishPatent and Registration Office (PRH) only in Finnish or in Swedish . Read more about how to apply.
Information about registered designs in our Design Information Service
Other possibilities to protect your rights
A trademark distinguishes the goods and services of your company from similar goods and services of other companies. Read more about trademarks.
A patent gives you an exclusive right to use your invention commercially. Read more about patents.
A utility model,like a patent, gives you an exclusive right to use your inventioncommercially. It is intended to protect simple device and productinventions. Read more about utility models.
- Our customer service point will be closed for the entire day on Thursday 30 November – our telephone advisory service will be closed from 13.00
- Trademark and design right documents will be included in the PRH Document Service
- Our telephone advisory service opens at 12.00 on Mon 23 October 2023
- Protect your intellectual property: SME Fund open for grant applications
- EPO and EUIPO announcement: Owning Intellectual Property (IP) rights boosts startups’ ability to raise funds