Start a business
Our advisory service provides advice in matters relating to notifications and applications to be submitted to the Trade Register. We also give advice about the legal effects and other effects of registration.
Please note that the Trade Register staff cannot give official advice in other practical arrangements of starting up a business, or advice in questions on company law, taxation or other matters of juridical nature.
Please see the detailed instructions on how to file a Start-up Notification, by company type, in the left-hand menu.
Read more about our Advisory service and what kind of questions it can answer.
Other services to help you start a business
You can get help to start a business from the following service providers:
- The EnterpriseFinland website offers a comprehensive information service for new businesses.
- Anyone who runs a business that require a separate business licence, either as a private trader or as an organisation, has to report the granted business licence to the Trade Register. More information about business licences is available on the EnterpriseFinland website.
- EnterpriseHelsinki is a service centre for those looking into starting up a business and for those already operating a business.
- Finnish TE Offices offer a wide range of services for entrepreneurs and those interested in entrepreneurship and starting their own business.
Taxation – information and advice
- For advice on taxation, please contact the advisory service at the Finnish Tax Administration.
FI domain names
- Registered FI domain names are listed on the Finnish Communications Regulatory Authority (FICORA) website , where you can apply for a domain name.
- Go to our summary of the most common forms of business . If you need more advice on how to choose the right form of business, please contact the service providers mentioned above, for example EnterpriseFinland , for further help.
- Please see the detailed instructions on how to file a Start-up Notification with the Trade Register, by company type, in the left-hand menu.
- If you are living permanently outside the European Economic Area, you may need a permit to set up a business.
- On this PRH website, you can also find other useful information about our services, such as trademarks , patents , design rights and utility models.